Skip to main content

Critical Questions for the Innovative Educator #IMMOOC

In Chapter 2 of Innovator’s Mindset, George Courous lays out some critical questions for the innovative educator. Here some reflections on those questions.

Would I want to be a learner in my own classroom?

This question is important because it requires us to approach our work from a place of empathy. By considering the learning experience through eyes of each of our students, we can better understand and meet their needs. Further, I believe we must strive to imagine students’ perspectives that may be very different from our own. Would I want to be a learner my classroom as an EL student? A student with trauma? A student of color? A student of non-binary gender?

What is best for _this_ student?

This question gets at the individual nature of learning. Each individual leans slightly differently. We must not blame the student when they do not succeed in learning what we set out to teach them, we must innovate to meet the learning needs of that individual.

What is _this_ student’s passion?

Source
I am very grateful for the inclusion of passion in the discussion of innovative education. I believe that passion has been erroneously left out of the Growth Mindset/effort/grit conversation. When I look around at my most successful, self-actualized peers, the common thread I see is passion. These people are doing and learning the things they about which they are passionate – teaching, engineering, playwriting, bioinformatics, parenting, sculpting, community organizing, the environment. Passion is the catalyst for perseverance over time towards long-term goals. We need to spend more time talking and thinking about how to teach passion. I want to do more to celebrate, explore and expand my own and my students’ passions.

What are some ways we can create a true learning community?

A true learning community is highly dynamic, with teaching and learning flowing in all directions. Students can and should learn from each other. Students can and should learn together through collaboration. Students should be creators, not consumers of learning.

How did this work for our students?

Asking students for regular feedback models the reflective practice we want in our students. Acting on student feedback – making material changes in the classroom – broadcasts the message that students’ ideas are important, and we are all valuable partners in a learning community.

Comments

  1. I agree that focusing on a student's passion is so important. Helping them to find the things they love can really build goal setting and perseverance. As a teacher, it can be really powerful to share your own passions with your students. Model the love of learning and pursuit of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate the first question in Couros book, would I want to be a student in my own classroom, because it implies the need for empathy and understanding the viewpoint of the student. I think the more we allow ourselves to view school or the classroom from the student standpoint, the better we will be able to serve their needs and create an environment suitable for learning and innovation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment